Eva Baqué 13 July 2017
Eva is Norwegian and has lived in France for more than 20 years. As a real estate agent, she specializes in Nice but can also propose objects in Cannes, Antibes, Menton and in the hinterland. In addition, Eva has her own company dedicated to the Scandinavian clientele on the Riviera, that manages administrative assignments, renovations, seasonal rentals and even wedding organisations.
How come you choose to become a real estate agent, Eva?
- It has been a long process, that started when I worked at the Norwegian Consulate here on the Riviera. I noticed that, in addition to the demand for holiday homes, there was an enormous need for administrative assistance and support among Norwegians moving to France. I then got the idea to create my own company, which offers administrative assistance, short term rental and renovation assignments. I started working with a Norwegian real estate agency and eventually I was offered work at Riviera Keys.
What services does your company propose?
- I am here to help you even after a house purchase. I propose administrative services, I help you with short term rentals, I find the right craftsmen and I organize and follow up renovation work. I will take on almost any assignment on request; I can help with everything from car purchases and transportation to the organization of weddings and other events. I can help home buyers turn a refurbishment object into a real gem!
What types of objects are you specialized in?
- Both apartments and villas, mainly in Nice, but really all across the French Riviera. I have very good local knowledge of cities like Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Menton, Villefranche, Saint-Jean Cap Ferrat, Valbonne, etc. I also propose more and more objects for sale in the hinterland, an area which I find very interesting. With my foreign customers, I act as a buyer’s agent, that is, I send a selection of items according to the customer's criteria, they choose between 5-10 items and then I arrange the visits when the customer travels down to the Riviera.
Can you tell us about any area or town you like and that may be less known by the Scandinavian customers?
- Yes, I then come back to the hinterland, and villages like Aspremont, Utelle and even further up: Bollène. These are incredibly beautiful areas, which are not yet famous among tourists. The region of Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur is so much more than just swimming and sunbathing - here you will find wonderful scenery and beautiful hiking trails. These areas are perfect for those who love extreme sports like rafting and canyoning. Locals are seldom found on the beach during the tourist season, but they prefer the cooler climate towards the alps.
Why do you think Scandinavians like the French Riviera so much, and do you think it an advantage or a disadvantage that there is already a large Scandinavian population here?
- The Riviera is famous for its excellent climate, tasty food, rich cultural life, etc. It's almost impossible not to enjoy it here! I think it is an advantage that there are many Scandinavians here, it creates a sense of community and most people who buy have someone in their acquaintance circle that already owns a property or has lived in the area. It is, however, important to try to learn some French - only a few phrases can often make a big difference, although I notice that the French too are making an effort in speaking better English.